07 5 / 2013
I still can’t believe I finished a marathon sub 3:30. It feels incredible. My achievement laughs in the face of my self-doubt.
Race day went like this:
Wake up at 4:15.
Leave K around 6:15 to find Ethan. Security is heightened and although it made it a little difficult to get to E before the race, it was a very good and cool thing.
I was in Corral B and crossed the start line about a minute and a half after the elite. Pretty cool since RnR does separate starts.
Saw E and 2 of my other friends right after the start.
I felt like my pace was quick at the start, but I just kept rolling with it. I think in my head I was giving myself some cushion for later when I would for sure slow down.
It was a beautiful morning and the bridges looked so beautiful. It was very cool running over them. I was able to see E again on the Andy Warhol bridge.
The miles went by slowly and quickly at the same time. The crowds were pretty great and I’m thankful for putting my name really big on my shirt. Strangers calling you out by name is awesome.
In the beginning, I took water and gatorade at every other stop. It seemed too chaotic to try and squeeze in at every station. I was glad for when the halfers left. (no offense, but I’m always glad to have a less crowded course)
Saw Ethan one more time around mile 11.5. I still felt really good.
I love this picture. I feel strong when I look at this picture of myself.
I realized I was on the BIG hill after I had already run up half of it. Was more of a steady incline for a few miles - nothing I hadn’t trained on.
I think it was around mile 14 that I realized I would most definitely BQ again.
It was around mile 18 that I told myself I was going to run a 3:30. No excuses (unless I needed medical help.)
And I ran. and ran. and ran. The downhill portion. I’m thankful for the downhill because it made the 3:30 possible, but yet I hate the downhill because it makes recovery way, way worse.
The miles just went by. Only 3.3 left. Only 2.7, Only 1.5, Only .4.
And then I saw the finish line. It was awesome and I felt like I was all alone. My finish video proved that I was, in fact, alone.
Arms held high and I crossed the line. Unbelievable.
After high fiving a woman for completing her first half marathon, I found my way out of the finishers chute and over to the Lost Runners table.
(We didn’t make a definite plan for meeting up and there were A LOT of people. I also didn’t have my phone.) The Red Cross let me use a phone to call Ethan. I wasn’t sure if this existed because of Boston or if there was just more advertising about it after Boston, but I was SUPER thankful.
Reunited with my love and biggest supporter!
Push yourself. Tell yourself you can do it. You will feel magnificent.
- fitterisbetter likes this
- justfinishkatie likes this
- teacheatrepeat likes this
- devonrunning likes this
- marathonmelissa likes this
- happyfitrunnergirl likes this
- emmmcho likes this
- victoriafindslife likes this
- c00lrunnings likes this
- runelrun likes this
- ariavie said: Love this! Congrats!! :)
- yearwon likes this
- drewinpursuit said: Awesome recap. Great job out there!
- drewinpursuit likes this
- lea-lovebeginshere likes this
- celestegivesup likes this
- almondsofjoy likes this
- tallmormon said: You are unbelievable! So proud
- tallmormon likes this
- rasmtazberry24 said: Very inspiring makes me want to shoot for a marathon in the future.
- shortmom said: amazing amazing amazing amazing!!!!!
- shortmom likes this
- nourriture-et-fleurs said: oh you are my hero. i’m gonna come run with you. OK!?
- nourriture-et-fleurs likes this
- laurworksandwonders likes this
- malloryrunsthis said: Aaaaah! I am so excited for you! AMAZING RACE!
- buildingthepath likes this
- malloryrunsthis likes this
- erinerinerint likes this
- seeamandarun likes this
- runningwithguts said: I could probably read about 10,000 more posts about your race. Srsly.
- runningwithguts likes this
- liftingbeerandliz likes this
- chrystimoreorless likes this
- seechrisrun said: Great race. Those moments when you blow away even your own lofty expectations are unforgettable.
- runslikeapenguin likes this
- seechrisrun likes this
- sherjan likes this
- runwrite likes this
- chelsearuns said: I love each and every thing about this post. You’re awesome :) Congratulations!!
- chelsearuns likes this
- kevsfatfight likes this
- szeeee likes this
- lifewithkim likes this
- jrfred likes this
- keepingupwithmcjones likes this
- aheartofiron said: Congratulations, Jess!
- aheartofiron likes this
- runheatherrun said: You. Are. Incredible!
- runheatherrun likes this